Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Daffodil Classic 2012

Had I known the ride had an elevation map that looked like this, I probably wouldn't have signed up.  Sneaky husband.  It was definitely the most physically challenging thing I've ever done.  Especially considering I haven't ridden a bike since last summer!  I signed Joe and I up on a whim and it didn't really hit me how far 40 miles is until driving up the day before.  Then I got really nervous.  Once we hit the first hill I really questioned whether or not I'd be able to make it.  I'm proud to say I didn't get off my bike once the entire time.  The last hill was a killer, I thought I was going to have to walk up with my bike, but I kept on powering through the pain.  I felt so proud to finish and even more proud of myself that I kept up with the guys.  I'm not as in bad of shape as I thought!  My inspiration was Liam.  Throughout the ride I kept thinking about him and how I want to be able to do physically active things and keep up with him when he's older.  I have a feeling he's going to be active....and i don't want to have to watch from the sidelines!

There were 7 of us that did the ride; me, Joe, Gil, Uncle Lenny, Aunt Sue, Jayne and David.  Sue is my hero.  She rocked it!  I hope that when I'm 62 I'm able to do something so physically demanding.  Use it or lose it, my new motto.  

Lucky Liam got to stay and play with Uncle Jack, Dylan and Srey all day and had a blast!  He was so tuckered out from his busy day he was asleep before we even got on the freeway, slept the entire drive home and for 15 hours total that night.  Then he took a 3 hour nap yesterday!

No comments: