Monday, August 27, 2012

Sunriver, Ape Caves and more

Once again, we've been on the go!  We returned last week from a trip to Sunriver, Oregon.  We rented a huge house and all Joe's side of the family went.  We had a blast.  They have an awesome new water park that Liam loved, we rode bikes, canoed down the Deschutes, ate tons of delicious food and just enjoyed being with everyone.  Liam loved being with everyone and woke up super early because I think he was just so excited to get the day started and see everyone, especially Dylan.  Dylan just turned eight and is so good with him.  I love seeing them together!  I had been looking forward to this trip since we booked it in May.  I was so sad when we had to come back.

Joe's parents and cousins family all came down to our house this past weekend.  We went to the Ape Caves on Saturday for the day.  I hadn't been since I was a little girl so it was fun to go again.  We took Liam, I didn't realize they wanted to hike the upper cave.  Here's a description of the upper cave off of the Mount Saint Helens website:  The upper Ape Cave is 1½-mile long and takes about 2½ hours to complete, 
returning on a surface trail. This section is more adventurous as cavers must climb
over approximately 27 boulder piles and scale an 8-foot high lava fall.  
It was tough!  Especially "scaling" the 8-foot lava fall.  And yes, Liam did this with us.  Let's just say Joe is amazingly strong.  He did the entire thing with Liam in the backpack.  Crazy.  When we climbed out at the end a guy was standing there and said, "Wow, it's hard enough as it is...but with a baby on your back??"  Lol.  I think people were pretty shocked to see him coming out.  Some parts of the cave were so tight he had to take the pack off and manoeuvre him around/pass the pack off to Gil or his dad.  I had to stay ahead, I got nervous on some parts.  Liam loved it though, he was a total trooper.  Dylan did great, too.  He scaled the 8-foot wall like it was nothing.  And he also made sure he found the hardest way possible to climb over the boulder piles.  As he says, he was "living dangerously" and loving it.  It was a fun weekend!  

Liam is getting to be a little comedian.  The other day I swatted at a fruit fly and said, "Damn (whoops....I slipped in front of him) fruit fly!" He immediately said, "Damn poo poo fly" and started cracking up.  He cracks himself (and us) up a lot lately.  One day last week he decided to whisper.  He thought it was hilarious.  And he still says "noooooo" when I ask him if he loves me then looks at me and laughs.  He knows that's not the right answer but thinks it's hilarious to get a rise out of me.  

Joe started school last week, makes me feel like summer is over.  I'm really  not ready for fall, but I'm starting to get in the fall mode.  I feel like I'm nesting.  Trying to get everything cleaned outside, recipes gathered and little house projects completed before hibernation starts for the winter! :)

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

J.Han said...

Haha! I'm giggling about Liam and the poo poo fly. ;)