Thursday, December 31, 2015

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016!


Happy New Year's Eve!  As always, I was shocked to see I haven't blogged in over a year.  But as today is the last day of 2015, I thought I'd take a minute to say goodbye to the year!  It's more for my memory than anything else, I almost forgot I had a blog so I'm sure I don't have any readers.

I must say 2015 was probably the busiest year of my life thus far.  They say the years start going faster, I really can't wrap my brain around that.  How is that even possible?!  And as I sit here thinking back on the year, it is all kind of a blur.  I guess that's what having two young children will do to your brain!

The highlights---vacations!  Always the best part of the year for me.  We went on a week long beach trip with Joe's family/cousins/aunts/uncles in July.  Joe's cousin and family from New York even came, it was so fun getting to bond with their kids.  We would give anything if they lived closer.  This trip coincided with Luke's 1st birthday so we had quite the celebration.

In August Joe and I got a free trip to Fort Lauderdale.  Joe was offered a job with Kemira and they had him down to job shadow.  We were SO close to taking the job they wanted me to come check out the area as well.  It was my first time away from Luke---and the farthest I've ever gone without Liam.  Both boys stayed with Joe's parents and they had a blast.  And I must say Joe and I did as well.  It's a beautiful area, we fell in love with it.  We were also spoiled big time.  Room upgrades, amazing meals.  I have to tell myself it wouldn't have been like that day in and day out if we had moved.  To say I'm not mourning that adventure would be a lie.  I think it would've been a totally amazing opportunity for our little family and a great bonding experience.  It was life a giant tug of war.  They wanted us, no one wanted us to go.  It was extreme highs and lows.  Excitement one minute and fears and tears the next.  And when I say we were close to moving, I mean it was pretty much a done thing.  Liam was even registered for preschool and we were set to go back and look at houses.  Joe decided last minute to go a different direction.  And I admit the summers would've sucked.  Big time.  We were there at the hottest time of the year.  At dinner one night we decided to sit outside to get the true experience.  I was totally soaked with sweat.  Forget eating---I had no appetite.  Looked like I just ran three marathons I was so sweaty!

In October we surprised Liam with a trip to San Diego for his 5th birthday.  My baby is 5!  Truly unbelievable.  We were down there for a week and had the most amazing time.  The real surprise was on his birthday, both sets of grandparents joined us for the remainder of the trip.  The look on his face when he saw them waiting for us to pick them up at the airport is something I'll never forget.  He was so, so excited.  The love he has for his grandparents is so special and fun to see.  I love it.

Time always seems to go fast after Liam's birthday.  We turn around and it's the holidays!  I honestly haven't even gone through all of his birthday presents and now we have a new load from Christmas.  Most say December birthdays are hard, I think Liam's birthday is too close to Christmas too.  Luke is the lucky one with a July birthday!

Joe's company (Kemira) shut it's doors in September.  It's been a very emotional process.  They saw so much potential in Joe they were doing everything they could to keep him.  But alas, he decided to be brave and make his own path.  He is starting his own business.  Me, being the one that pays the bills, was scared to death.  Like Joe says, Florida would've been the safe option.  He is a risk taker and wants to take the risk.  We are still young if it doesn't take off but it's looking like it will be an amazing thing.  With that said, there's a lot of 'hurry-up-and-wait' when starting a business.  He's been working from home since his last day in September (office space almost secured though) so we've all gotten large doses of Joe.  At first I had a really hard time---talk about throwing our routine out the window.  And I am a huge routine person!  I really changed my frame of mind after talking to one amazing person that knows our situation at MOPS.  She told me to embrace it.  It is short term and most people and children never get to spend time like that with their father.  It will be over and he'll be working long hours before we know it so just enjoy everyday.  I came home feeling like a new person.  That was just what I needed to hear.  Truer words have never been spoken.  When Joe was at Kemira, the boys would go days without seeing him (gone before they woke up and in bed before he got home).  Gone for dinner some weeks, sleeping all day other weeks.  It was really hard on all of us.  Luke especially has bonded with him in a way that is so special to see.  Liam was already his best bud but it's been awesome to see Luke with him.  Luke has the best of both worlds.  His three favorite people are with him 24/7!  And with all of that said, it will soon be ending as they've just about secured a place to launch.  So exciting!

Luke is changing so much.  He has the best personality and disposition.  He is at a really fun age but also the hardest age.  I forgot about this stage!  Throwing food, throwing little fits...in to EVERYTHING and unlike Liam, he is a climber.  I can't turn my back for even a second.  I went to throw garbage away and when I came back in, he was standing on the dining room table slipping around on the table runner.  He's getting really good, he can get up AND down now but it's still scary.  From around Thanksgiving until right before Christmas was the hardest time I've ever had with him.  I think he was going through the 18 month sleep regression on top of getting 7 or 8 new teeth.  It was so rough.  His normal wake up time in the morning is between 7-8am but he was waking up at 5 and not going back to sleep.  His normal naps also stopped.  I would've been fine with that but he was so exhausted and cranky he couldn't not nap.  Some days he was so upset and fighting nap so hard he would sleep standing up.  That's right.  Sound asleep standing up in his crib.  Most days that didn't even happen though, just screaming and fighting it like crazy.  Not normal for the boy who usually just laid down and waved to me as I left the room.  Finally it stopped, about exactly a month later.  He's back to his normal wake up time and taking awesome afternoon naps.  Thank goodness, I really thought my life was over for a bit.  It's one thing to skip nap if he sleeps until 8 or 9 but to get up at 5 and not nap makes for all of us being cranky.

I'm still participating in MOPS (Mothers of preschoolers) and actually took a position on the Steering (leadership) team this year.  I absolutely love every minute of it.  It's great being more involved in something that I am so passionate about.  MOPS has been such a great thing for me.  I've met so many great friends.  In fact, when we thought we were moving to Florida, I connected with the nearest MOPS group to the area we'd be living.  The support I got from the women was amazing---so kind, so welcoming.  It made me feel not-so-alone.  It's so important to have a community like that being a stay-at-home-mom.

I also began volunteering with the Make-A-Wish foundation.  I haven't worked on a wish yet but I am looking forward to that in 2016.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to in 2016:  SKIING!  It's been two seasons without any trips to the mountain for me.  The year before last I was pregnant, last season I was nursing and wasn't able to leave Luke all day.  But now.  Now I'm free!!!  Just gotta line the grandparents up to babysit. :)  We are going to put Liam in lessons this year.  Not sure who is more excited, him or us!  I can't wait until all four of us can ski together.  I'm sure it wont be long until I can't keep up with them!

We are also looking forward to two confirmed vacations.  I love having vacations to look forward to!  The first is a spring break trip.  Doing the annual Sanderson trip in April instead of the summer.  We'll be gone for a week, going somewhere sunny and warm with lots of pools.  Any guesses?  I don't think anyone will ever guess. ;)  Joe's cousin Katie and family are joining all the way from New York so we can't wait for some cousin time!  Then this summer we are spending a week in Sunriver.  My dad surprised us all at Christmas with a trip.  I can already smell it (Sunriver has such a distinct smell)!  Luke will be TWO and it will just be so much fun.

Joe and I also want to get away for our birthdays.  Just a little mini getaway, one or two nights.  We actually want to do Six Flags again---we are rollercoaster obsessed!  My birthday is on a Friday this year so hopefully it will work out.

I think 2016 will be a great year.  My goal is to enjoy everyday, not dwell on the past and try not to wish time away.  That's hard at times when kids are small.  Excited for when they hit milestones so things will be easier. But then I look back and miss the time when they were so small.  I really realize how fast it goes now that Liam is 5, starting kindergarten in September.  Time to step back and enjoy every crazy moment.

Goodbye 2015, Cheers to the best 2016!


No comments: