Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Goodbye to the Subaru

Three years ago yesterday I traded in my Jeep and we drove home in a 2008 Subaru Legacy. The trade happened because I was sick of paying a ton of money for gas, insurance and big car payments. I bought my Jeep right after I graduated. I didn't think it would be any big deal to have a car payment...that's why I was working, right? That thinking didn't last long. I HATED it! Seeing what little amount of the payment was going towards the principal and how much towards interest was beyond depressing! The Subaru was a great idea (or so I thought). I decided to lease--thinking that I would want a new car every three years--and it was perfect because it was AWD, cheap payments, good gas mileage, etc. Well, that thinking didn't last long either. Soon after I realized how stupid (for me) leasing was. I was making rental car payments!

Solution: knowing our lease would be up October 5, we bought a 2002 Subaru in March, paid cash for it and are now officially done with car payments--forever I hope! I have no desire to ever make payments again! Ever. Funny how things change. Yesterday we had to return our 'rental' car. Very weird. We pulled up to Clary's, handed the keys and left. End of story. We had 5 miles to spare on our lease, every mile over costs $$, and pretty much coasted in. It was so low on gas instead of the dash saying "20 miles to empty" it just said "---- to empty." We planned it out well! :) It was kind of sad to drive away from it, but after cancelling insurance on it yesterday and finding out we'll now be paying $900 less per year made it a little easier.

Goodbye Subaru, hello new pre-loved-paid-for Subaru!

No comments: