Thursday, May 6, 2010

I love Thursdays! 17 weeks!


First thought when my alarm went off this morning was "I'm 17 weeks today!" Every Thursday is a huge milestone for me and I love waking up and reading my weekly update. I have three that I read and they all differ a little but I'll share today's update from my What to Expect iPhone app.


Baby

Your baby is about five inches long and more than three and a half ounces--the size of your open hand (they said turnip three sentences ago!) Body fat (baby's, that is) is beginning to form and will continue to accumulate through the end of your pregnancy. By the time your baby is born, body fat will make up about two-thirds of his or her weight.

Your baby is almost certainly listening up by now. In fact, loud noises--the dog barking, the doorbell ringing--will actually startle your baby (and also get him or her used to such noises). Your baby's eyes are making small side-t0-side movements and can even perceive some light, though the eyelids are still sealed. And since practice makes perfect, your baby is sharpening his or her sucking and swallowing skills in preparation for that first suckle at your breast or bottle. In fact, most of the survival reflexes that your baby will have at birth are being perfected in utero right now.

My friend Krystal commented that she wants me to post a belly pic but there's not much to post yet. Joe has been insistent on taking weekly pictures but I don't have that big, round belly bump yet. I take that back, some days you can tell I'm pregnant (or at least I can tell) and other days it's not very noticeable.
I've always heard about pregnant women and the comments they get and now I can totally relate. A couple good ones yesterday: "You're still so early along, are you sure you aren't having twins??" REALLY? Thanks! Maybe the bump was just making an appearance yesterday? I don't think I've gained that much weight! And the best one yet, "I don't think that baby is hurting for food!" Again, thanks! Hahahaha, luckily I haven't become the crazy emotional pregnant lady yet and was able to just laugh it off. Or maybe it helps that the person who made that comment had just eaten the same exact lunch as me. I'll take it all with a grain of salt. If my pre-pregnancy pants start getting tight around my knees and ankles then I'll start to worry!

No comments: