Saturday, February 14, 2009

The infamous club



Joe and I call the splint on Subie's leg the "club." It's big, bulky, makes a lot of noise when he walks around and when he hides, we can always see him because the club is hanging out from where he's hiding so we can always find him fast.

Anyway, Joe called me when he got home from work last night to report that the club was off and Subie was walking around on his leg and his wound was exposed. Of course it was after hours, so Joe called the emergency vet in Vancouver and they told us to bring him down so they could re-splint it. I happened to be on my way home from Portland, he called as we were passing through Kalama, so he waited for me to get home and as soon as I walked in we packed up and left.

We returned home from Vancouver with his new club on at around 11:30ish. We were watching Jay Leno and fell asleep on the couch. Next thing I know, Subie is jumping up on me and I wake up to find out that his club is off. AGAIN. He took it off!! We have no idea how he's managed to do this twice. There's no tear marks, no bite marks...it's bizarre! Anyway, when he woke me up it was almost like he did it to show me that he had it off. Like, "Hey mom, guess what!? I got the club off again!!" Ughhh. I called the vet and reported the news. They said to put his e-collar on, keep him in his crate and come back down in the morning.

He hates his e-collar. We did as they told us to do and I was going to wake up during the night to make sure he still had the club and e-collar on but didn't wake up until 6:30. I jumped out of bed to find that his e-collar was totally off and he was sitting upright and putting weight on his leg.

Joe had to work this morning so I jumped in the car and ran him down to Vancouver. They re-clubbed him and now I'm watching him like a hawk. They couldn't believe he managed to get it off either. When there's a will there's a way I suppose!

My dad was complaining that I hadn't posted anything new in over a week so I had plans of posting about our wonderful dinner out last night. Joe had to work till 8 so I went to the Ringside in Portland with my mom, dad, Kim, George and Sophie. A Valentine's Eve dinner! It was so good and Sophie did really good too!

Sophie at dinner

Happy Valentine's Day! Last Valentine's Day I was just getting out of surgery. I just read my post from this time last year. Thank goodness that's all behind me!


No comments: