Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Update from Seattle

Well, tomorrow is the big biopsy day. I had my pre-op appointment today with the anesthesiologist and had to get more blood work done.

After my appointment we had dinner at Aunt Lynda’s house. She made a wonderful dinner for all of us. It was so nice to be able to go somewhere and totally relax and not think about tomorrow. Reality is starting to hit now that we’re back at the hotel though.

We got back to the hotel around 9 and waited for Joe to get here. He drove up to be with all of us after he got off of work. He’s taking a PTO day and will be here all day, but I think he’ll be going back tomorrow night and he’ll work on Friday. He doesn’t really need to be here any longer than that since everyone else (mom, dad, Kim and bro-in-law) are here. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow though.

Anyway, I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 tomorrow morning. My surgery is scheduled for 7:20 and they estimate it to take a little over an hour. However, if it ends up being a benign tumor, I’ll be in surgery for a lot longer because they’ll do all of the bone grafting after they get rid of the tumor.

I had to take a bath with a sterile solution tonight and I’ll have to use it again in the morning. I can’t wear any lotion, make-up, deodorant….I can’t even shave my legs! This is all standard procedure, but I’ve never had surgery before, so it all seems weird and scary to me.

Joe and I are in the same hotel room as mom and dad tonight. I don’t think Joe will be staying tomorrow night and I’ll be in the hospital, so we didn’t think it was necessary to get two rooms. I wish we would’ve now though. Joe and Dad are both snoring. Joe snores then dad snores, Joe snores then dad snores! So annoying!

Alright, that’s all for now. I’ll be out of recovery at around 9:30 or so if they just do a biopsy and later if the bone graft. Pray for an infection or benign tumor!!! I'm scared for tomorrow, but at the same time, very excited. I'm on the path to recovery and I'll soon have my life back! This has been the most miserable month of my life. I've never experienced something quite so painful and immobilizing.

I’m hoping they’ll let me have the laptop after I’m out of recovery. I can hardly stand the thought of having to stay in the hospital all day and night tomorrow!! I have about 20 magazines and 2 books to take with me, but I would prefer the laptop. I feel like it’s my lifeline right now!

Anyway, I better try to get some sleep. I have to get up at 4. What a wonderful Valentine's Day it will be! :/

Goodnight!
Katie

P.S. Here is a link to Dr. Conrad. He'll be doing the surgery tomorrow and will be the one in charge of getting me back to good health!

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/tabID__3374/ItemID__5/mid__10294/Default.aspx

No comments: