Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The "C" Word

Yesterday was my appointment with Dr. Conrad at the University of Washington Medical Center. I’ve researched all about him, I’ve even been able to watch videos of presentations he’s given, so it felt like I already knew a lot about him before I even met him. He’s a great guy and I am totally confident that he’ll be able to get to the bottom of this.

He showed us my MRI and explained every little part of it. The bottom 5-6 inches of my right femur was all white, which he said is most likely a malignant (cancerous) tumor.

I have to be back up there tomorrow for an appointment with the anesthesiologist. On Thursday morning I’ll be having a bone biopsy. I’ll be put to sleep for it and he said it’s about an hour procedure. They’ll go in and take two samples from the core of my bone where the tumor is. I’ll also have to stay in the hospital that night. No big deal, it’s only Valentine’s Day! :(

Anyway, he said it could be three things. He said there’s a slight chance that it could be a benign tumor. If that’s the case, he’ll be able to tell on Thursday and they’ll scrap all of the tumor off and replace it with bone from the bone bank and my good bone will form around it. If they have to do that, I’ll be in the hospital for several days as it’s a pretty complicated surgery.

The second possibility is an infection in the bone. However, he said if that’s the case it would be “weird” as it typically is only seen in children. If it’s an infection, I’ll have to have medication for a few weeks through an IV. He said I could go to Hawaii if it’s an infection, but I’d have to have the IV bag with me. I can’t imagine laying on the beach hooked up to an IV…but whatever works I guess!

The third possibility is a cancerous tumor. From the way he talked, it seems like this is what he thinks it is. He’ll be able to tell on Thursday if that’s what it is, just not the type (sarcoma or lymphoma). If it is the “C” word, he told me I can go to Hawaii. If we decided not to go, we’d just spend that week waiting around for the pathology report. He said that having the biopsy on Thursday will probably relieve the pain, so I’m hoping I’ll feel like a different person. I think I’d enjoy myself more in Maui surrounded by my family and friends rather than just sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. If it is cancer, he said it can wait a week before starting treatment...it wont spread in that short amount of time.

The procedure for getting rid of the cancer is cutting the bottom part of my femur off, replacing it with a rod and also a total knee replacement. My knee isn’t bad, but it wont work with the rod that will replace the bottom part of my femur.

Anyway, that’s all I know right now. I’m not at work again today, I just don’t have it in me both physically and mentally. I feel so drained, weak, scared...I can't believe this is happening. It seems so surreal. Yesterday was exhausting and I have a feeling that's nothing compared to what I'll be facing the next few days.

Keep praying for me!! Especially since there’s still a small chance that it’s just an infection or a benign tumor! For the most part, I'm feeling pretty strong. I have my moments, but all in all, I've been holding up pretty good. My mom stood behind me in the room yesterday...she didn't want me to see her face when he told us what he thought it was. She ended up losing it and said, "Is my baby going to be ok?" He assured her that I will be OK and kissed her on the forhead. Then he hugged me and kissed me on the forhead, too. Right then, I realized that even if it is cancer, I'm a fighter and I'll get through it.

I'll keep you all updated!

Love, Katie

P.S. For some exciting news, Governor Gregoire is going to be at my dads business (Columbia Analytical Services) tomorrow at 1! She wants to visit because his company represents growth, longevity, educated employees and a few other reasons (that I can’t remember). She probably just wants to get some good PR, but it’s still exciting. I feel bad my dad will have to miss it…my appointment is at 12:45 tomorrow. :(

2 comments:

J.Han said...

HOLY SHIZA!!!!!!!! I'm freaking out for you. You know I'm not really religious or anything, but I've never had anything against praying and you are definitely in my prayers! All this time I was thinking you'd go up there and he would say that you just needed to have liquid extracted from your knee and it would be fine or something. Keep your chin up Katie, we're all rooting for your knee!!!

Elaine said...

Katie, I can't stop thinking about you since I read your blog yesterday. I have been praying for you and I hope that you find some measure of peace. You are a great writer and you seem like you are keeping strong. I hope for the best for you and your family.