Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Random Wednesday

It's gorgeous out this morning! BLUE sky and frost. My favorite combination! Hopefully the sun decides to stay for awhile!

As we were checking out of the hospital after having Liam, Dr. Henderson stopped in. The last thing he said to me was, "The three things you need a lot of while breastfeeding: protein, water and prenatal vitamins." I definetely listened, I wanted to do everything in my power to succeed at breastfeeding. I can't help but wonder if his statement has something to do with my constant cravings for MEAT. Joe and I aren't big meat eaters...the only meat I would ever buy at the store would be ground turkey breast for turkey meatloaf and chicken. My meat cravings have been more than that. I've been craving pork, red meat...anything! At my grandma's birthday dinner I ordered a filet mignon. And I loved every bite of it. I think that's the first one I've ever had. Some might say my tastes have changed but I really think it has to do with breastfeeding. I wake up absolutely starving in the night. Yesterday on the Today show they said cravings don't have anything to do with what your body needs. I don't know if I totally agree with that. I'm not trying to justify my meat eating, but to some extent I think your body really tells you what you need if you're listening carefully. I'm not 'craving' cookies or chocolate. Just meat. It's so weird!

Anyway, since I feel like we've been eating a lot of beef, I decided we should have chicken. I got out my Portland's Palate cookbook (second time this week!) and decided on Chicken Ole. I used to make this a lot PJ (pre-Joe). It was delicious! And another easy one.

Chicken Ole

1 cup chunky salsa, medium hot (I would use HOT next time)

1/4 cup Dijon mustard (I used leftover Hickory Farms sweet hot mustard)

3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice

6 chicken beasts (I used TWO but did the same amounts of everything else)

In a large bowl, combine salsa, mustard and lime juice. Add chicken, turning to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (I marinated all day).

In a large saute pan, melt a little butter over medium heat until foamy. Remove chicken from marinade and place in frying pan. Cook, turning frequently, until well-browned on all sides. (I actually added a tiny bit of water and cooked the chicken until it was completely cooked). After this I added the marinade to the pan, covered with a lid and let it simmer for about an hour. No knife needed after it was done, just fell apart, the way we like it!

I also made Spanish rice and whole pinto beans to go with it. It got a thumbs-up from Joe so I'll be adding this one into my rotation. :)

Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

hfryar said...

Another good one:
Lime chicken tacos
Put a couple of chicken breasts in the crock pot.
Mix a table spoon of chili powder with three table spoons of lime juice and pour over them.
Cook 5-6 hrs on low.
Shred the chicken and add a cup of salsa and a cup of frozen corn (if you like it....can be omitted, I guess).
Makes great soft tacos and also the leftovers are good the next day as enchilada's!!!

hfryar said...

Oh, sorry, that was from me...Hether. Russell and the boys LOVE this. And I forgot...after you add the salsa and corn put it back in the crock pot for 30 min-an hour to heat it all through.