Sunday, March 30, 2008

The big day!

Morning! In ten minutes we're leaving for Portland. The egg retrieval is today! At my appointment on Friday, I had about 20 follicles on each ovary. They're very intrigued by my response to the all of the shots I had to take. Especially since their average patient is about 35. They expect me to have lots of eggs! They will fertilize half and leave the rest as they are. They freeze them through vitrification. Vitrification rapidly freezes the egg in such a way so as to prevent ice crystals within the egg that could shatter the delicate structure of the egg. The eggs and embryos will then be stored in liquid Nitrogen until (or if) we need to use them.

Both "soon-to-be grandma's" are going with us. The dads decided to pass. :)

I'll post pictures of the embryos later! Looks like we'll be having a litter!

No comments: