Saturday, March 8, 2008

Making progress

I'm another day closer to my appointment at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance! My biggest concern right now is fertility. Within the next 5 years I'm almost certain I'll be married and be thinking about having a baby. Unfortunately, chemo and radiation often cause infertility. If there's even a 10% chance that it would cause that, I want to be proactive and do something before.

We got two names of fertility doctors in Seattle from Dr. Henderson, but for now I scheduled a consultation appointment at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. http://www.oregonreproductivemedicine.com/

If the oncologist says I can wait longer before starting treatment, I will have to start fertility treatments and harvest eggs. I believe this process takes about a month, so radiation might have to be delayed, but the pain I have now is nothing compared to how I'd feel knowing I could never have kids. It's pretty cool that they're able to do this and I'm excited to talk to the doctor next Wednesday at my appointment. My sister sent me an article about it: http://www.oregonreproductivemedicine.com/Press-Release-female-fertility-preservation

Now that I'm going to the fertility appointment before the oncology appointment in Seattle, I'll have all of the information from the fertility doctor to take to the oncologist. I don't want to wait any longer for answers, I want them now!!

People always ask me how I'm doing. The answer is, I'm not really sure. I think I'm in shock. When I write in this or talk to people, I don't really feel like I'm talking about myself. It just doesn't seem real! But it is, it's very real, so for finding out I have the "c" just five days ago, I'm doing pretty good. I mean, I get flowers every day, people are always calling and stopping by to visit....life is good. :)

Much love, Katie

No comments: