Thursday, March 27, 2008

Port of Katie

Hello! I only have two appointments today! All of this running around is really starting to wear me out. I'm anxious for my chemo to start and be on a regular schedule. Chemo once every three weeks. Hopefully I'm able to live a normal life between treatments!

Last night we went to the cancer class and once again, enjoyed it very much. The nurses are great and I learn so much every time! Although I'm the youngest person by 20+ years, it still helps to know that I'm not the only one going through this. One of the things I learned about was the port. Holy crap! I don't think I want one! I mean, I do and I don't. It makes things a lot easier (they only have to poke me once as opposed to several times each treatment), but it looks so creepy. It will be right below my collar bone. It's a surgical procedure, so I'll be put to sleep for it, but once they're done, it stays in until I'm done with treatment. It just creeps me out to know that it's under my skin. I've always been very squeemish (is that a word?!) about things like this. I can't stand IVs, I don't even like tags! How am I going to manage with a port for 5 months?!

Seattle called yesterday and they have me all set up for Monday. Here's the agenda:
9:00 am: Blood Draw
10:00 am: Appointment with doc
11:00 am: Port of Katie installed
2:00 pm: First chemo treatment

It's going to be a busy day. She said chemo should be done at around 8. I can't believe it takes so long! We'll probably have to spend the night up there on Monday.

My ovaries are really starting to be achy. They're getting really big. I feel like with every shot Joe gives me, they get a little bigger. I have another ultrasound and blood work today, but they seem to think the retrieval will be on Saturday. Poor Joe, he can't go to Whistler. :/

Alright, that's all for now. We're super busy and trying to get everything figured out. Only a few more days until I start chemo though! I'm scared, but also excited. I'll be able to WALK again! They said they expect the tumor to start shrinking within 24 hours of treatment. Yay!

GO COUGS!!!
Katie

No comments: