Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hey cancer, you picked the wrong bitch!

That's the t-shirt I ordered last night. My sister and I saw it online on our way back from Seattle and we thought that one fit me pretty good! I want to get the "Fuck Lymphoma" one, too. I just hate the f word. Even though I feel like screaming it over and over, I just don't know if I could wear it. I wouldn't want to offend anyone. But it's oh-so-true. Fuck you cancer!

For those of you who haven't heard, yesterday, March 3, I was diagnosed with lymphoma in my bone. Very rare for it to be IN the bone, but that's where it is. Dr. Conrad said it's very treatable and said it's one of the best cancers to get, but still....I have f'ing cancer!! How did it happen? They have no idea. How long have I had it? About 3 months....which is when it first started becoming painful. Thank goodness for the pain. So many cancers are silent, causing no pain or discomfort, which is why by the time it is found it's spread everywhere. I have to have a bone scan next, but he said my CT Scan showed no other cancer in my chest/tummy. So unless the bone scan shows differently, I only have it in the femur of my right leg.

I'm waiting for a call from the cancer doctor this morning to find out when I need to be at UW next. I will have to receive radiation for about 6 weeks and then chemo for up to a year.

I stayed strong throughout the appointment yesterday. No crying, nothing. I think I was in shock. I hardly slept at all last night though and when I woke up the first thing I thought was, "I can't believe this is true!" I want so badly to just jump out of bed and go to work everyday like everyone else! Instead I'm bad pain and feel miserable! Dr. Conrad said the pain should start to go away once radiation starts, which will be sometime next week. I can't wait until I can walk without using crutches, go shopping without having to be pushed around in a wheelchair. I never realized how much I took all of those little things for granted until this happened.

Anyway, that's about all I know. I'll know more when the cancer doctor calls. Dr. Conrad said I'll live to be an old lady so that makes me happy. :) He also told my mom that I will be able to give her lots of grandchildren. I think that made her feel a little better about everything. He also said it's not me he's worried about, he's worried about her. She's taken all of this very hard, but then again, we all have. She's just my mom and expresses herself differently I guess.

When he mentioned the part about me having a baby, my sister asked if radiation and chemo will decrease my chance of being able to conceive. He said the cancer doctor will talk to us more about that, but most likely, they will have to harvest my eggs for future use. My biggest fear is that chemo and radiation would make me not be able to get pregnant. Hearing that they'll take the eggs out before was very assuring. I can't imagine not being able to have kids because of this!
Thanks to all of you for the support and encouragement throughout all of this. I know I've said this a million times, but it means the world to me!
Funny picture of the day: Joe got pooped on under the Banyan tree in Lahaina while pushing me in the wheelchair. Better him than me!

No comments: